Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

14.4.05

Little Amsterdam...

Yes, you may envy me. Not only am I intellegent, passionate and smoking hot, but I will soon be a world traveller. This past summer I went to England with my family, but since it was a one time thing, I didn't really feel like that counted.

Today, I called home and my da informed me that our tickets for Holland are in. That's right: Holland. Amsterdam, ba-by. The land of red light districts and cafes with the goods, if you know what I'm saying, *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* (By the way, who actually winks and nudges like that? Please, inform me if you are in fact a nudgewinker, cause most people I know, just say it; they don't actually do it.) Of course, I'm not going to be participating in either of those activities as I am going with my family and I don't care that I'm not partaking in all that Amsterdam has to offer me and my esoteric state. I'm going to Holland for the 60th anniversary of the Liberation during WWII. Not only am I going with my da and sister, but my uncles, cousins and grandfather (who fought in Holland during WWII) are also going, and I couldn't be more thrilled. I'm sure if I was going with some friends, I'd want to at least see the cafes and red light district, but under the circumstances, I don't care. If I wanted a prostitute or pot brownie, I'm sure I could find it here. I'm more interested in seeing the largest Van Gogh museum in the world, or the Rembrants, Vermeers and Van Eycks. Some may see my ambivilance towards the district and cafes as an abomination, but the reason I would go to a place like Amsterdam, or the Nederlands in general is to see what I can't see anyday of the week. I can go to Toronto and see a woman selling her wears; I can pass by a university house and see pot brownies being passed around. Rembrant's "Night Watch" is a once in a lifetime experience which I am latching onto.

Also, I have to see the nation which produced such a Nobody. (His work is supported by the Netherlands Foundation for Fine Arts, Design and Architecture.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home