Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

7.3.02

Caution: Mild feminist rant ahead


International Women's Day


How could I have forgotten? YAY WOMEN!!! Celebrate yourselves ladies. You're beautiful. I was walking along today and I saw something that caught my eye. "After she opens a fashion magazine, it takes a woman 20 seconds to feel bad about herself." It's sick and disgusting that we should have to feel inadaquate. In the words of Ze Frank "What do you want to be one of those Calvin Klien models? Emancipated? Chew on your own bones? NO." And he's right. You're lovely ladies, but your accomplishments are far more important than your looks. Whatever you're doing, know you are doing yourself a great injustice but not realizing how spectacular you are. Chances are even if I don't know you, you are spectacular and worthy of praise. That's just my rant when I think of International Women's Day. Take your 20 seconds and realize that "Damn girl, you are GOOD!!" Here's a suggestion of some things you could do on Women's Day: listen to Ani (everyday!), read some Gloria Stienem, watch a movie about strong women (ie. Foxfire), or talk to the women you know about their lives. May I suggest talking to your mother. Her strength may surprise you. Sorry. That's what I'm doing tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home