Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

3.12.01

Mindless ramblings about Jack-in-the-pulpit



So I was surfing today with the intention in mind of trying to remember what I learned in four years of art history. So I'm looking around feeling a little overwhelmed when I decide that having a focus would be nice. I decided that working chronologically would be no fun because I'd have to start from the egyptians and that's not very interesting. Also working on one country wouldn't work because so many countries in Europe were influence by each other. So, I decided to do a gender study, the female gender to be specific. I decided to work on the more prominent artist I had formally studied, such as Cassett, Gentilleschi, Nevelson and, of course, Georgia O'Keeffe. As I was looking at O'Keeffe's works I came across a series I remembered called Jack-in-the-pulpit. I recalled it from a video analyzing O'Keeffe's works. They said that the fasination (let's see if I can make this make sense and not fuck it up) for O'Keeffe was originally the occurence in nature of this interesting flower. Then, it sort of morphed into a fasination with the Jack because really what is the pulpit without the Jack. So, I got to thinking, which was really a stupid thing to do, that if there had been no Jack O'Keeffe never would have painted to pulpit. I refer everything to people so I was thinking about some people who don't need Jack because their pulpit is enough but then sometimes Jack over powers the pulpit like in Jack in the pulpit No. VI. I hate it when Jack over powers the pulpit. But then Jack would just be a phallic flower with nothing to play off of. Pity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home