Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

8.6.03

Congratulations, Cat and Mike!

So, my good friends Cat and Mike got married today. I don't know if you're like me, 20 with no plans for wedlock, but this shit is fuckin' with my head. I'm happy for them, because I think they're both flippin' fantastic people, but it's strange. My date was my good friend Davey, and we both were a little mistified because this was the first time either of us had ever been to a wedding without our parents. (40 years ago and we would probably be wed by now.) It's a combination of the way I see marriage and the way I see my friends that is causing this turbulance. You don't have to agree with me, but I see marriage as a means of control, bondage for life. I also see my friends as free spirits, free thinkers. I just can't understand marriage, but of course I run from my partners after 3 months. I get scared. My friend Jen was saying that she missed her boyfriend when we were at the wedding, and I was like, "right there. I'd be at the phone, saying 'Thanks, but no.' That would scare the shit out of me. " I never planned my wedding dress, picked out 'the perfect song', thought about when, where, who, just why usually followed by 'the fuck would I want to?' I hung out with cynics for too long. Much of my belief has been eroded by statements like my marriage sentiments: why the fuck bother. Guess it's just not a fight I want to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home