Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

6.5.03

Do you ever have to hide things from yourself, or suddenly sit on your hands because your afraid of what they might do? I was playing with this ladybug pushpin yesterday and I started thinking about Oedipus. I was imagining what it would be like to poke the pin into my eye, seriously toying with the idea. The pin was coming nearer and I wasn't pulling it away. At the last moment, I threw it and sat on my hands. Perhaps my hands are idle. Perhaps I am unhappy. Perhaps I am just bored. This isn't the first time I've toyed with a self-destructive notion. I think I just liked imagining my one green eye paired with a green ladybug pin stuck into the other eye. Wouldn't that be sight?

Suicide's Note


The calm,
Cool face of the river
Asked me for a kiss.

-Langston Hughes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home