Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

28.5.03

At my work I've had two instances in the past couple days with older men. One was awesome, the other... not so much. I'll start with the guy I thought was awesome cause I get the feeling that some of you will think the other guy was pretty super great. The first guy is this 70 year old man who volunteers at the charity org I'm working for this summer. He's this British man who tells me stories about "evacuating London during the war". He seemed quite excellent when I got there, but yesterday was his day to shine. I was eating lunch in the boardroom, reading as per usual, when Tom asked me what I was reading. "Gloria Steinem," I replied expecting some comment or other about feminism. "Oh, Mark, I better watch my mouth," Tom quipped, but I was quite surprised, when two seconds later I arise from the depths of my reading to hear a neutral comment about feminism, to which Tom says, "I'm a feminist." I could have hugged him. In my secluded life, I've heard two men refer to themselves as feminists, Josh Greenpeace and Johnny Rockstar, a couple of guys from my school. To hear a 70 year old man refer to himself as a feminist brightened my day.

The other "lady" was this man who came into work to give a donation. Myself and my female co-worker are the only ones around. In the space of 5 minutes, he called the two of us women "fellas" about 30 times, no hyperbole. He kept saying things like "So, do you fellas get many donations like this?" "You fellas seem to have a system down pat, whooooo dog." (Not kidding on the "whoooooo dog" either.) The fella's just kept a coming. Then, he felt the need to leave us with a little joke: So, with it being spring and everything, the bees are out. Now regular bees make honey, but do you fellas know what kinda bees make milk? BOOBIES!!! *kills himself laughing and exits*. I thought it was wildly inappropriate to say to two strange women, but had it come from my friend, I'd be killing myself right now. Plus, Fella was the creeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home