Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

19.1.02

"Isn't this real life?"


I tolerate a lot more from the people on the Internet than I ever would in real life. If I heard someone refering to women on the street the way some of these men do on the internet, I would DEFINATELY say something. Some jokes that I would not laugh at in real life suddenly become okay because they are on a satirical web site. Just because something is a farce doesn't necessarily mean that what was said was the best thing. I would have been one of the girls offended by Andy Kaufman's Women's Wrestling routine, and yet, I let these men on the internet get away with a lot of shit like that. Perhaps because I can't see them smiling at there own jokes, or see the smug looks on their faces, I let it SLIDE on BY. Perhaps it is because I can't engage in an argument so I gotta take it up the ass. I just wish there were more women on the internet. Of course, women would use it for different purposes and maybe they wouldn't notice some of the more, shall we say, male-biased sites. I don't hang out with any women who SERIOUSLY use the internet. Most of my girlfriends use it for ICQ and email. The one friend I tried to encourage to get a webpage failed miserably. (Sorry cat but you couldn't even remember your log-in. It obviously wasn't that important.)

I digress. I put up with shit on the internet that I would scream about if I heard it in a classroom or a coffee shop. (Not bars. Bars turn men into neanderthals.) Wait I act like the men on the Internet are DRUNKS!!! They can get away with so much more because I hope that under it all they don't mean it. I hope that it was just a stupid joke that they'd take back in the morning if they could but it's been said so they can't. Whatever my reasons I have but one hope. I hope that I don't stop saying things in REAL life just because the Internet desensitizes me to what I should or shouldn't speak out against. I should get my turn to make someone mad, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home