Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

21.4.04

On the eve of my WS201 "Women and Identity" exam, I've realized that I have a bit of a problem with post-modernists. I was reading last semester that I have no "true self", that my admissions of "that's not really me" is actually bullshit, which I agreed with in that who I am to people is who I am, because that is the "truth" most known. What is my "true" self if it cannot be shared with others? Whose truth would my "true self" be? But then tonight I was thinking about the sociological idea of the reflective self, that who I am is composed of how I see others viewing me; I am a composite of other people's "Alysia". So, if my true self is how others see me, and my idea of self is just a composite of these views, I have no self to be true. There is no Alysia to be true to, nor any "me" to profess as distinct. If I want to change my "self" all I have to do is change who gets to perceive me. I have no self, just people around me. So, what is the problem with post-structuralists? Well, how can I deconstruct a system which I have no interest in as I now have no sense of self? The reason why people want to change the system -- whether that be capitalist, patriarchal or caucasian -- is because it threatens their self, what they want their self to do. Take that self away, and why deconstruct at all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home