Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

29.9.03

I didn't realize how well my flatmates knew me until tonight. I was standing with 2 of them in the kitchen, waiting for my pitzza (pizza on a pita) to be finished, thinking about settling and wasted love and being alone but not lonely, when Lara says, "Oh, Alysia's thinking." Of course, I'd said nothing so I inquired as to what she was implying. "You have this way of softly sighing when your thinking. It's like ...", at which point Lara demonstrated with startling accuracy the noise I didn't know that I make when I'm thinking. After the demo, Adg chuckled, agreeing that the sigh was indeed a near perfect replica, including, "That's our Alysia, the one and only." I know that my face hides nothing, but these women now know my noises, God/desses bless them. It is comforting to know that no matter how many people at school/work/play see me as just a clown, I can go home to people who value my subtleties without my knowledge. For someone as outlandish and extroverted as me, that is the best present I could get. I may complain sometimes, but I really do love these women.

As they are the best flatmates in the world, they correlated their birthday presents for me, giving me a Mexican Hat Chip & Salsa Bowl which plays a Mexican hat dance, a hand blender for dips and soups, and a recipe book of blender things. These women are truly awesome. Party at the Lava Pit!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home