Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

12.1.03

The Legacy of Hot Showers



My grandparents
Didn’t have a high school education
It just wasn’t an option
during the Depression.

So they struggled to secure
a job to procure
a life for their family
with lifetime security

And here sit I with my University degree,
his masters of philosophy
and we're just hoping to survive
the hours after here.

Take a look at your history
You just might find
that behind the liver spots
and grumbling whatnots
You’ll have your own legacy
Of clean towels
and hot showers.
The opportunities taken
by the other generations
so we could be
bourgeois,
and end up fighting against
what they fought for.
Maybe we deserve war,
as a jolt out of ignorance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home