Rhymes with Militia...

As I get older, I realize that I correct people less and less on the pronunciation of Alysia. Now you'll never get it wrong again.

20.2.03

Sympathy Removed

What is "good-bye"? A good-bye is rarely good. If it is good-bye, it is more like a tearing, tortuous, tormenting bye. If good-bye is forever, where is the goodness there? No, good-bye is not good unless it is a "see you later", or a "Talk to you soon". Good-byes threaten self-inflicted maiming. They dent the iron casing surrounding that barely functioning, mangled heart we all have once we've seen to many of those good-byes. Why do we insist on adding good-byes? Why do we feign that we are parting on good terms by inserting that pleasantry? Is it our desire for closure, or our need for acceptance? “Well, if I say "goodbye" it feels like it's really over, even though I know it isn't over.” “If I say "goodbye" it seems like I am not repulsed by them, and, therefore, they will not further tarnish my stained name.” I did not say goodbye to the people I’ve parted with on good terms and by chance never spoke to again. The only people I’ve said a poignant goodbye to have been those with which I never wanted to speak with again, so why was it a “good-bye”?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home